27.10.05

New Media Solutions in Search of Problems: Video Phones/iPods

You may use this content (better still, argue with me!), but please cite my ideas as (c) 2005, Dr. Bruce Klopfenstein.


OK, this is one of my trickiest posts to date. I just posted that the concept of a miniature video display has been tried and to the best of my knowledge was never acknowledged as any kind of success. The Associated Press (AP, I wish there were a byline for the author) has already beaten me to the punch. In a story that will be reprinted im countless publications, the author(s) write:

Watching a TV show requires far more attention than listening to a song, so it would be no surprise if Apple Computer Inc.'s new video-capable iPod music player provided a less-than-satisfying viewing experience.


After all, the stylish design that puts thousands of songs in your pocket may not seem so cool after you've held it up to your face for hours. And while a tiny screen is great for displaying tune titles, a full-length TV show is another story.


Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/10/27/video.ipod.ap/index.html retrieved 27 October 2005.


I probably couldn't have said it much better myself. Hmmm....maybe I did write it.

BUT, surprise, surprise, and remember you read it here first, maybe iPod users will allow a 30 or 60 second commercial to run in return for the desired content (presumably music) in return. This is the bargain that has been going on in the U.S. through the entire history of all electronic media.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home