19.9.05

Cramping TiVo Users' Style

You may use this content (better still, argue with me!), but please cite my ideas as (c) 2005, Dr. Bruce Klopfenstein.



Thanks to UGA student, Charles Kirchner, for bringing this to my attention. Thanks, too, to Boing Boing for posting this: "TiVo has added several anti-features to its PVR. Now, some shows can't be saved forever, or moved using TiVo2Go."TiVo Users Thwarted


I have TiVo and will be watching for this. I'll also check in with tivocommunity.com to see if they're on this.

OK, I'm back. There is discussion on this topic at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=259169. I'm not sure if you have to be a member to read this (because I am a member). Another TiVo user reported that a program s/he recorded could not be saved: "The 'higher-value content' which had restrictions on my TiVo was a 2 year old King of the Hill for Pete's sake! I could maybe in some small way understand it if it were for some PPV boxing fight or something, but for crap like that?"

In addition, the story was picked up on news.com: "TiVo execs said the technology was supposed to be used only for pay-per-view, video-on-demand, DVD or VHS content, and showed up on other content as a mistake."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home