12.12.06

I'm Not French, But Wii

OK, it's time for this new media researcher to dive into the video game industry, because I believe that interactive television has much to learn (steal?....OK, borrow) from the video game interface. My reasoning is pretty simple: there are X million gamers in the U.S. (remember, this blog is devoted to the U.S. market because it's complex enough on its own) and they are all familiar with their video game's interface. Why should interactive television reinvent the wheel. If that's not enough for you, then consider all future video game consoles (if that's what they're still called) will also be HDTV sets.

So, I'm relying a bit on my wonderful University of Georgia students to show me the way, but I'm not going blindly. I'm intrigued by the possibly "discontinuous" innovation I think I might be seeing with the Wii. Don't worry. I'll quiz my former colleagues in the home video department at my local Big Electronics Chain store and its competitors and see what I learn. I will also check the web and see what others are saying. And it's time for you to go beyond reading and start posting comments, arguing with me I hope. A good argument makes my future arguments stronger.

Frighteningly, Robert Holmes of TheStreet.com writes today, December 12: "The learning curve to play and enjoy most next-generation video games has steepened, forcing potential consumers out of the market." Just what I need. Fortunately, I have the will to conquer uncharted territory. But wait! Nintendo says its Wii is intended to make it easier for inexperienced video game players like me to use its system!

"Our goal was to have anyone pick up the controller and understand how to use it in ... seconds," Dolecki says. "From what we're hearing anecdotally just from Thanksgiving weekend gatherings, this seems to be succeeding."
Source: http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/funds/goodlife/10327178.htmlcm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA accessed 13 December 2006.

There are images of the Wii remote at these links (they are responsible for any copyright infringements, I endorse none of the sites; all were accessed 13 December 2006):

See this issue of The Street,
http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/funds/goodlife/10327178.htmlcm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA, for a good overview as of today.



You may use this content (better still, argue with me!), but please cite my ideas as © 2006, Dr. Bruce Klopfenstein. Find any typos! Don't smite me, let me know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home